Handgun Safety Information Page
January 26 | February 23 | April 20 | June 22 | July 27 | August 24 |September 21| October 19
Cost and location:
- Cost: Pay in advance; make check payable to “Handgun Safety Class”.
- Required: Basic Handgun Safety Class & Certificate $20.00
- Optional: NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Book and NRA Certificate $15.00
Date/Time: 9:00am to 4:00pm. Location: SRGC Clubhouse, 87227 Munsel Lake Road, Florence.
- Directions: At the north end of Florence, turn east onto Munsel Lake Rd., off HWY 101, north of the Fred Meyer store. Drive east on Munsel Lake Road ½ mile and turn left through the gate at the Rod and Gun Club entrance. The clubhouse is at the top of a small hill on the right.
- Parking: There is parking on both sides of the clubhouse road and parking for the disabled is adjacent to the clubhouse.
What you need to bring:
- Bring the handgun you wish to use for the class.
- At least 50 rounds of ammunition of the same caliber as the handgun you bring.
- If you do not have a handgun, or if you are not sure what kind of handgun you would like to purchase, there are some available for a fee of $10.00, plus the cost of ammunition.
- If you intend to rent a handgun, please note this on the form. The instructor will have .38 special ammunition available the day of the class at current market price per box of 50. No other calibers of ammunition will be available for sale at the Rod and Gun Club.
Upon arrival at the clubhouse:
- Leave the ammunition in your vehicle and bring the unloaded handgun to the classroom for a safety check.
- Please be sure the handgun is in good working order AND CLEAN.
What to expect:
- Approximately four hours of classroom instruction.
- A 30-minute lunch break. We suggest you bring a lunch; a refrigerator and soft drink machine are available at the clubhouse.
- “One on one” coaching on the pistol range. Each student will have an assigned coach and all firing will be done under close supervision and “on command”.
- Eye and ear protection will be provided if you don’t have your own. Shooters are encouraged to purchase eye and ear protection and use them any time firearms are being used in your vicinity.
- Class will be held rain or shine. The firing line is covered; please dress accordingly.
You must be at least 21 years of age to apply for a CHL at the Sheriff’s office in the county where you live, however, you may still take the class if under 21 and receive a certificate if you pass. If under 18, your parent or guardian must accompany you to the class and sign the waiver of liability.